Martabak is one of the most popular street foods in Indonesia that almost every city makes as their favorite.
How To Start Affiliate Marketing For Beginners
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. This helps keep the content on this site free.
Martabak can be found everywhere such as sidewalk stalls and restaurants in this country.
This kind of food is usually sold by street vendors at night. However, there are other types of martabak known in Indonesia and this is called sweet martabak.
This kind of food was first introduced in the late 19th century to the Bangka region by Chinese descendants who are residing there.
However, the martabak of the Bangka region is also known as Hok Lo Pan or Hok Lo cake.
There are various names of sweet martabak, and also there are many cultural stories behind one type of food.
It is unfortunate that nowadays, food culture is no longer excavated and developed.
In addition, culture plays an important role in building an identity for both people and certain areas. Recipes you need to make martabak.
The recipes you will need to make martabak are; about 250 grams of flour, another 30 grams of tapioca flour, 300 milliliters of milk, two eggs, 90 grams castor sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast, salt, and baking soda.
In creating the filling, you will need roasted ground peanuts, chocolate sprinkles or chocolate cream, condensed milk, and castor sugar, as well as butter.
It is not the responsibility of the vendors to decide the size of martabak to be made but they have to let you decide on the size of the martabak you are making.
However, the rate of eggs you put in the batter to make it tends to determine the size of your martabak. The standard is two eggs and you can make it if you wish.
Normally, duck eggs are a common choice that you need to use as they taste a bit saltier and create a richer texture.
Furthermore, if you want to use meat, you can decide to choose between chicken, lamb, or beef.
Although nothing beats the experience of immersing yourself in the Indonesian culture and indulging in an assortment of martabaks from vendors lined on the streets, maybe even in different cities, you may want to create your own version.
There are two categories of martabak including sweet and savory martabak in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Saudi Arabia.
Meanwhile, the sweet martabak is very soft and has a thicker texture, while the savory one is thin and crunchy.
Martabak is one of the Indonesian favorite sweet foods that is well known, following the process and getting the necessary ingredients you can make it at the comfort of your home.
The Smile Martabak is the best online shop that is capable of giving and serving you a nourishable and good martabak. Also, this online shopping is always at your service and ready to provide for you a well cooked martabak at all time.
Steps to make martabak after getting the ingredients:
The steps you need to take in making the martabak include:
- Firstly, you will need to combine flour with yeast and salt.
- Then you can whisk the egg, sugar, and milk using an electronic mixer at a high speed.
- Gently add the flour mixture into the batter and whisk until there is an absence of lumps in it.
- Then you cover the bowl with a towel and let it rest for about 30 minutes to 1 hour until the batter rises and creates bubbles. Meanwhile, if you observe that the batter is too thick then you can add a bit of cold water and mix it well again.
- After it has been well mixed, you can now add the baking soda into the batter and wait for about five minutes. Thereafter, you need to prepare a 24-centimeter thick bottom flat cast iron and make sure the heat level is at the medium stage and not too high.
- You can now use a ladle to add about 3-4 scoops of batter into the pan so that it would cover the base.
- The next step for you is to press the batter with the ladle’s backside so that it will later form crispy edges. Also, you will ensure the hear is low and you will have to cook it until there are a lot of bubbles on the surface. The next step is for you to sprinkle some sugar around the pancake. Also, you will have to put on the pan lid and allow it to be cooked for another ten to 15 minutes.
- You will have to move or shift the pancake to a flat surface and then spread butter on it.
- The last step is for you to top the pancake with the prepared fillings and then fold it in half before you start using a knife to cut to your desired sizes.
Different ways of serving martabak
In India, Malaysia, and Saudi Arabia, martabak was consumed with a curry sauce. Indonesia has a different way to serve martabak.
Meanwhile, the way of serving martabak in Indonesia is different because it involves the mixture of soya sauce with tamarind and small vinegar that has pickled cucumber and chili.
Martabak is the result of culture from India to some countries like Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, and Malaysia.
The traditional martabak in India is known as savory martabak. Martabak culture is closely related to the culture of eating bread in India. Cultural acculturation is brought by Indian traders known as mamaks in Malaysia.