I recently stumbled upon a very easy recipe for how to make Puff Puff. I guarantee you haven’t seen anything like this before. Want to find out my secret Puff Puff recipe? Read on to discover.
In this extremely long post, we’ll be covering sub topics that pretty much answer all the questions you’ve been asking on Google. These questions include but are not limited to how to make puff puff for sale or for Small Chops, how to make it round, with baking powder or milk, how to make it with pepper and without Yeast.
About my Puff Puff recipe
Puff Puff is pretty much a staple snack among many Nigerians. After Chin Chin, it’s easily the second most widely eaten Dessert in the country.
When you walk by the streets, it isn’t uncommon to see these round bundles of joy (bundles of dough) inside show glasses. Around popular Bus Stops, if you’re lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of someone hawking it on their heads and calling attention to their goodies using a very peculiar fork to tap the glass.
In other scenarios (and this is quickly becoming a trend), you will see them along the major roads with an Umbrella and a gas stove carrying their hot hot oil frying the Puff Puff.
Let me confess, I’ve found myself patronizing them every now and then in the mornings on my way to work. This is the real definition of the meaning of the term “Fast Food” in every sense of the word.
Difference between Puff Puff and Buns
This is an age old debate among Nigerians. If you’ve never seen both side by side, you’d begin to quickly understand why this is something of a dilemma to us.
So if you’re among those confused, here is the simplest answer: the difference between Buns and Puff Puff is that the former usually has a tough hard exterior, while the later is soft and smooth…kind of exactly how it looks in the pictures above.
Here’s all you need in other for you to recreate this juicy Puff Puff recipe:
- 500 grams of flour
- 10 grams of fast action yeast (optional)
- 150 grams of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Lukewarm Water
- 3 table spoons of fresh pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Milk (optional)
- Baking powder (optional)
*Some of these Ingredients are optional because everybody has various preferences of how they choose to make their Puff Puff.
Directions for how to make Puff Puff
The below instructions will guide you in how to make Puff Puff just the way you want it. Whether you’re the type who likes it round (and who doesn’t?) or likes it with Milk, with Pepper or even without Yeast.
Step 1: In a clean bowl, add water and add the teaspoon of sugar to it. Add the Yeast (if you like yours with Yeast so this is optional. If you don’t want Yeast however, be prepared to eat an almost flat deep-fried snack because it won’t rise without Yeast).
Step 2: Pour the Yeast mixture into the flour and mix them together thoroughly until it forms a thick sticky white dough.
Step 3: Cover the dough with clingfilm for the next 60 mins or until it doubles in size. If you can’t get your hands on a Clingfilm, then you can use a clean towel (since towel can trap temperature).
Step 4: Next, pour the Vegetable oil into a frying pan. You’ll need to pour enough because this snack needs to be deep fried. Ideally, the oil should be up to 4 inches deep.
Note: To test if the oil is hot enough, drop a tiny piece of the mixture into the oil. If it floats, it’s hot enough. If it sinks, well. You have to leave it a while longer.
How to scoop the dough into the oil and make Puff Puff round
- Wet your hand in clean water and wriggle it to shake off the excess water
- Dip your hand in the dough and while you scoop, draw the dough towards yourself to the edge of the bowl
- Now squeeze the dough in between your palm and turn your hand to face the oil so it drops freely like a ball.
- Last point of note…try not to overcrowd the oil so each dough can have enough room to grow.
Step 5: Reduce the heat so the oil doesn’t get too hot and burn the dough. Medium heat is best at this point so it can fry evenly.
Step 6: Turn the dough over and fry both sides till golden brown.
Step 7: Once it’s done, take them out and drain excess oil in a plate lined with tissue paper.
And that’s how to make Puff Puff like a true professional.
How to make Puff Puff for sale and with Small Chops
There’s not special method to make Puff Puff for sale with Small Chops. The recipe above is good enough to eat with your family and also good enough to sell.
How to make Puff Puff without Yeast
Can i just say right off the bat that this is a terrible idea. The reason is if you make it without adding Yeast, it’s not going to rise. What you’ll end up having is Puff Puff that looks a lot like Akara because it would be flat-ish. So don’t do that. Use Yeast. Yeast is good for you.
How to make Puff Puff with Pepper
Simple! Once the dough has risen, slice several balls of Pepper as much as you can handle (i can actually handle a lot) and pour into the dough. When you start scooping into the oil, the pepper will be contained in each ball of dough that eventually gets fried into Puff Puff with pepper.
How to make Puff Puff with Milk
In our very first in the cooking Instructions while mixing the sugar and Yeast with water, if you want to make your Puff Puff with Milk, this is the stage you add it. Now if you choose powdered Milk, just be sure to have emptied it into a cup and mixed it with warm water first before adding it into the mixture.
Now over to you
Do you have any questions concerning how to fry Puff Puff? How many of you used this recipe and got it right? Let me know in the comments section.
Recipe For How To Make Puff Puff
- Bowl with tissue paper for draining the oil from the Puff Puff
- Bowl for storing the dough
- Clingfilm for covering the dough to make it rise
- 500 grams Flour (all purpose)
- 10 grams Yeast (Optional)
- 150 grams Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- Lukewarm water
- 3 Pieces Fresh pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Milk (Optional)
- Baking powder (Optional)
- In a clean bowl, add water and add the teaspoon of sugar to it. Add the Yeast
- Pour the Yeast mixture into the flour and mix them together thoroughly until it forms a thick sticky white dough.
- Cover the dough with clingfilm for the next 60 mins or until it doubles in size. If you can't get your hands on a Clingfilm, then you can use a clean towel
- Next, pour the Vegetable oil into a frying pan. You'll need to pour enough because this snack needs to be deep fried. Ideally, the oil should be up to 4 inches deep.
- Wet your hand in water then scoop the dough and squeeze it in between your palm and turn your hand to face the oil so it drops freely
- Reduce the heat so the oil doesn't get too hot and burn the dough. Medium heat is best at this point so it can fry evenly.
- Turn the dough over and fry both sides till golden brown.
- Once it's done, take them out and drain excess oil in a plate lined with tissue paper.
- To test if the oil is hot enough, drop a tiny piece of the mixture into the oil. If it floats, it's hot enough. If it sinks, well. You have to leave it a while longer.
- If you like yours with Yeast, great. If you don't want Yeast however, be prepared to eat an almost flat deep-fried snack because it won't rise without Yeast. It's called "Puff Puff" for a reason right?