Peppered meat recipe: Here’s how to make peppered Stick Meat (Beef Skewers or Kebab) like a boss Chef.
About my Peppered meat recipe
As Banky W puts it, “Suya weh get Masters Degree.”, this Nigerian meat recipe is the bane of my nightlife gallivanting explorations.
When I’m night out with friends, I never just have a Beer. If it’s not with some stick meat or at least Asun, I haven’t yet started.
Let me tell you a crazy fact about me: I’m a pepper fanatic. The taste, the smell of peppered meat with onions is just enough to brighten my darkest nights 😋.
My Dad always has trouble wrapping his head around this because I’m not Yoruba and I love pepper so much.
Anyway, long story short, I’m here to initiate you into the love of stick meat (or Beef Skewers/Kebabs as it is known outside of Nigeria).
Here’s all you need to recreate this lovely recipe.
Ingredients for Nigerian Peppered Stick Meat Recipe (Beef Skewers/Kebabs)
Food recipes aren’t just about showing you how to cook. It’s also about the “Art of Food”. Food is Art and because this is so, when choosing vegetables as ingredients for your Beef Skewers, go for something colorful, like using red bell peppers instead of tomatoes.
Also, never neglect the Onions (you’d definitely want that crunchy taste and trust me, pepper goes absolutely well with pepper👌.
- 300g of choice Beef (Without fat)
- Salt and dry pepper
- 1 medium Green Bell Pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 medium red Bell Pepper
- 1 large Onion
- 1-2 Stock cubes (I prefare Knorr)
Before we delve right into the step by step directions for how to make peppered stick meat or Beef Skewers/Kebabs, there are a few things that need to be taken care of first to pave the way for our peppered stick meat recipe and that includes:
- Firs start by marinating the beef by cutting it into small pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Next, add your thyme, pepper and stock cubes and massage the seasoning into the meat pieces with your hand.
- Finally, you can cover it and place in your fridge to Marinate for approximately 1 hour.
- You also want to make sure your other ingredients are ready like your green and red Bell Pepper and your Onions. Simply chop them into small rectangles just like the beef and place in a bowl aside.
Now you’re ready to get down to business!
Directions for how to make spicy stick meat or Beef Skewers/Kebabs
Step 1: Bring out the Marinated beef from the Fridge (i hope you didn’t forget it there o) and sprinkle a few drops of water in it to help it to simmer once you place it on the fire at medium heat. Make sure the pot is covered.
Step 2: Occasionally flip the beef to make sure it’s cooking evenly on all sides. Basically, you need to cook it until the beef turns pale (some of you would rather say White but any one works).
Step 3: Stir the beef in the pot until all the water is absorbed. If the taste is not to your liking, add a little more salt. Once the water is absorbed by the beef, take out of the fire and set aside.
Step 4: Place a frying pan on the fire and pour your vegetable oil. Allow the depth of the oil in the pan to be about 3 inches deep. When hot enough, fry the beef until they are all evenly brown. Make sure to constantly stir so it doesn’t burn.
Step 5: Once the beef is properly fried, set them aside in a sieve lined with paper towels so that the excess oil is absorbed and leave to cool down.
Step 6: Now it’s time to grab your tooth picks or skewers and start (permit me to use the word) impaling the beef chops into the skewers. Please make it colorful by creatively combining the Beef, onions, Red and Green Peppers as you like (Food is Art!).
Remember to join my Belle as you’re eating!
Now over to you!
Did you try the recipe above in this post? How did it go? Did you have any complaints or questions after reading it? Let me know in the comments section below so i can help you out.
How To Make Peppered Stick Meat (Beef Skewers/Kebab)
- Frying pan
- Tooth picks or Skewers
- Paper Towels
- 300 grams choice Beef Without fat
- Salt and dry pepper
- 1 Medium Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Medium Red Bell Peppers
- 1 Teaspoon Of Thyme
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Stock cubes
- Bring out the Marinated beef from the Fridge place it on the fire at medium heat. Make sure the pot is covered.
- Occasionally flip the beef to make sure it's cooking evenly on all sides. Basically, you need to cook it until the beef turns pale
- Stir the beef in the pot until all the water is absorbed.
- Place a frying pan on the fire and pour your vegetable oil. When hot enough, fry the beef until they are all evenly brown.
- Once the beef is properly fried, set them aside in a sieve lined with paper towels so that the excess oil is absorbed and leave to cool down.
- Grab your tooth picks or skewers and start (permit me to use the word) impaling the beef chops into the skewers.
- When you're sliding the beef into the Skewers, please make it colorful by creatively combining the Beef, onions, Red and Green Peppers as you like (Food is Art!).
- When pouring the Vegetable oil to be used for frying the beef, allow the depth of the oil in the pan to be about 3 inches deep.