So if you were to play a game and it says: mention 5 fruits that start with D. Can you? To save you from too much thinking in such moments, here is a listing showing Fruits starting with letter D.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. This helps keep the content on this site free.
This listing will contain fruits you probably have not heard of before but will be a nice addictive to your dessert or meal plan. It will inspire a new cooking recipe and dessert plan and also open you up to more innovations.
Each fruit listed below comes with nutritional benefits. You will be surprised that some fruits you never knew of could help to improve your health. So, we will also discuss the nutritional benefits of these fruits. Keep reading…
Fruits That Start With D
In alphabetical order, they are but not limited to:
- Damson Plum
- Darling Plum
- Dead Man’s Fingers
- Double Coconut
- Duku Fruit
#1. Damson Plum-Fruits That Start With D
Damson plums are small, oval fruit that resembles a plum. They are mostly used in food preparation, especially in jams and fruit preserves. The scientific name of Damson Plum is Prunus domestica subsp. insititia.
This fruit is blue in color but astringent in taste. When eaten raw, it has a strong sour taste. Unlike other plums, it is less sweet but can be used in making jellies, jams, etc.
- This fruit contains iron and copper, which helps to increase your energy levels and ensure proper oxygenation of the body.
- Damson plum is rich in magnesium and vitamin C, which help to regulate sleep.
#2. Darling Plum-Fruits That Start With D
The scientific name of this fruit is Reynosia septentrionalis. This edible fruit grows in the tropics and subtropics, so if you will be visiting The Bahamas or Florida soon, check for this fruit.
Darling plums are said to taste like blueberries. The fruit tastes sweet, though the skin may be tart. They can be eaten raw or used to make jams and other recipes. It is rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
- It is rich in antioxidants that help to improve immunity.
#3. Dead Man’s Fingers-Fruits That Start With D
The name “Dead Man’s Fingers” may not sound appetizing but this fruit is actually a sweet one. It is blue-colored with a sweet flavor and jelly-like pulp inside the fruit. The scientific name of Dead Man’s Fingers is Decaisnea fargesii. This fruit is also known as the blue bean plant or blue sausage fruit.
It is a class of flowering plant in the family Lardizabalaceae. It is native to eastern Asia. It grows in a cluster of three and has a soft peel. This dead man’s finger fruit often reaches a length of 7 to 12 cm. This fruit looks like a cold human finger, hence the name. Do not consume the fruit with the peel. You can eat the fruit raw or use it in your recipes. It tastes sweet and it is nutritious too.
- This fruit is high in calories, thus, good for you to improve your energy level.
This is one of the fruits that start with the letter D. Dekopon is a variety of satsuma orange. It is a seedless and sweet fruit. This fruit is quite different from other orange varieties due to its large size, sweet taste, and large protruding bump on top of it. It is regarded as the most delicious citrus fruit available. So, if you are thinking about trying new fruits, don’t forget to try this one.
- This fruit is a good source of vitamin C, which helps to strengthen your immune system.
- It also gives calcium, which helps to build strong bones and teeth, and potassium to balance fluid levels in your body.
#5. Double Coconut
Yes…another unique fruit that starts with the letter D. Its scientific name is Lodoicea maldivica. It is also known as the sea coconut or coco de mer. Double coconut is a genus in the palm family. It is a giant fruit with giant seeds. It has the world’s largest seeds.
This fruit grows in Seychelles. It is not the kind of fruit you always see. It has a rich and creamy flesh with a sweet taste.
- You can consume a decoction of the husk and kernel of double coconut to lower the quantity of sugar in your urine if you suffer from diabetes.
- The kernel of this fruit can help to relieve feverish conditions.
This fruit is also known as pitaya, pitahaya, or strawberry pear. It has a white pulp inside with black seeds. This fruit is slightly sweet, the taste is between a kiwi and a pear. The body of this fruit is covered in green flame-like scales.
You can consume this fruit raw or chop it into small pieces and top it with yogurt, honey, or chopped nuts. It also adds flavor to drinks and juices. The peel of this fruit can be used in several dishes. The fruit is cultivated in some parts of Asia, Australia, Mexico, the United States, the Caribbean, Peru, and other tropical and subtropical regions.
- It can help to lower your blood sugar level and also boost your iron levels.
- It is rich in antioxidants which help to protect your cells from damage by free radicals.
#7. Duku Fruit
The scientific name of Duku fruit is Lansium parasiticum. In English, this fruit is known as langsat, lanzones, or longkong, while in Indonesian it is known as duku, in Terengganu Malay, it is known as dokong. It is native to Southeastern Asia.
This fruit has a sweet flavor. Its taste is a cross between grapes and grapefruits. You can eat it raw or use it in some recipes. This fruit tends to grow in clusters of small to medium-rounded fruits. Though the skin looks tough, it is easy to peel.
- It is a good source of fiber and it helps in maintaining a good dietary tract for smooth digestion and also has anti-cancer properties that fight colon cancer.
- This fruit is rich in vitamin C which helps to boost your energy levels and immunity.
This is another fruit that starts with the letter D. The scientific name of Durian fruit is Durio zibethinus. It originates from Southeast Asia. It has a unique flavor but a weird smell. It has a hard shell with a creamy custard-like flesh that is sweet. Once you get past the smell of this fruit, you will enjoy its taste. It is a nutritious fruit.
- It is a good source of vitamin C which has antioxidant properties that help to fight free radicals in your body and reduce the appearance of pigmentation and wrinkles.
- This fruit may help to regulate your blood pressure.
Fruits That Start With D: Conclusion
In summary, fruits come with lots of nutritional benefits. So, try to add fruits to your meal plan. And if you already have fruits as part of it, try substituting the fruits you have already with these, you would love them.