Do you want to know about foods that start with D? There are lots of little known dishes under this category. Keep reading to discover delicious dishes that begin with the letter D.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. This helps keep the content on this site free.
Here, you will find foods that you never knew existed but you can add to your meal plan. This will help to create a change in your meals. And spark up the willingness to know more and try new recipes.
Foods That Start With D
- Deviled Eggs
- Dirty Rice
- Dragon Noodles
- Draw Soup
#1. Dahl – Foods That Start With D
This is one of the foods that start with D. Dahl or Dal is a delicious dish made from dried peas or lentils. The lentils or peas do not have to be soaked before cooking. This dish originates from India and the method or ingredient for preparation may vary.
This dish can be used with other Indian foods like curries, rice, naan, and sabjis. Dahl is very easy to prepare and it is affordable too. You can spices like ginger, coriander seeds, and cumin when cooking this dish to add more flavor to it.
- This food is rich in protein and fiber, which is helpful for those looking at losing weight.
- It also contains potassium and iron, which helps to lower blood pressure and regulate irregular heartbeat.
#2. Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs are also known as Russian eggs, dressed eggs, or stuffed eggs. They are hard-boiled eggs with their shell removed, then cut in half. The yolk is mixed with ingredients like mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper, and salt and placed back into the egg whites. In the end, top it with a sprinkling of paprika.
It can be served as a main course, side dish, or appetizer during gatherings. It is a popular dish in Australia, Europe, and North America.
- Eggs are an excellent source of protein, nutrients, and vitamins d, B12, and B6.
The vinegar used in this dish aids in fat-burning and weight loss.
#3. Dirty Rice
The traditional Louisiana Creole dish, Dirty Rice is made from white rice cooked with pork, beef, or chicken in small pieces, onion, green bell pepper, celery, etc. This dish is also prepared in some parts of America and is called Cajun rice, chicken and rice, or rice dressing. The rice is called “dirty” because the color of the rice changes after it is cooked with meat and spices.
- This dish is a good source of protein and iron, which helps to increase your iron intake and help those trying to build their muscles.
- It is low in calories and fat, thus, beneficial for those who are watching their weight and trying to still eat healthy meals.
- Dirty Rice is a good source of fiber, which helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
Divinity is a slightly chewy candy made with egg white, corn syrup, and sugar. You can add ingredients like chopped dried fruits, chopped nuts, and flavors such as vanilla, cherry, coconut, etc. It is mostly prepared during the holiday season.
READ ALSO: 8 Food Starting With R You Thought You Knew
- It is a source of carbohydrates, which gives energy to the body.
#5. Dragon Noodles
This is another food that starts with the letter D. This dish is not based on the type of noodles used but on the spicy sauce that is cooked and added to the noodles. The noodles often used is the Chinese noodles, you can use lo mien noodles, Ramen noodles, etc. Other ingredients include spiralized veggies, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, and, chicken, pork, shrimp, or to-fu (vegetarian).
- A dish rich in vegetables helps to lower blood pressure and reduce risks of heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
#6. Draw Soup
Draw Soup is also known as ogbono soup. It is made from Ogbono, which is known as African mango, bush/wild mango, and dika nut in English. Its scientific name is Irvingia gabonensis.
The seeds of this plant are used for this soup. This is a Nigerian soup prepared with ground dry ogbono seeds and other ingredients. These seeds are the main ingredients of this soup. African mango is also native to Central and West Africa. It was first grown in Southern Nigeria.
This soup is prepared with other ingredients like palm oil, seasonings, assorted meats, fish, and bitter leaves. It is served with eba or pounded yam.
- It helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
- It aids in weight loss and reduces high blood pressure.
Dosa is another food in this list of foods that starts with the letter D. It is also called dosai, dwashi, dosha, or dosey. It is a kind of rice pancake popular in South Asia. This dish is made from a fermented batter of ground lentils and rice.
Depending on the time spent cooking it, it may be soft or crunchy. It is a sweet dish with a slightly bitter taste. This Indian dish I’d often eaten as breakfast with chutney or curries.
- It is a good source of carbohydrates, which supplies your body with the necessary energy.
- It is low in fat, which helps people keep a check on their fat intake and reduce risks of heart diseases.
Dumplings consist of pieces of cooked dough that have a filling. This dough can be made from flour, bread, rice flour, potatoes, or buckwheat. The filling may contain beef, chicken, fish, cheese, tofu, red bean paste, vegetables, fruits, etc. This dish is prepared in different ways.
This dish is popular in Asian countries. This dish is boiled, steamed, or fried. It is served with stew or soup.
- It is a good source of carbohydrates and proteins, which gives energy to your body and keeps your immune system functioning.
- It has a positive effect on bone and muscle tissue.
Foods That Start With D: Conclusion
In conclusion, the listing above contains foods that start with D and have nutritional benefits. These foods are good substitutes for the foods already in your meal plan. Are you wondering if you will really like them…I’m sure you will, just give them a try.