Looking for Fruits that start with V? We’ve compiled a long list of them for you. Keep reading to find out now.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. This helps keep the content on this site free.
Fruits beginning with the letter V are more popular than you think, I assure you. Even though he letter V is not a a letter that would typically be synonymous with fruits, a little bit of research could prove otherwise. We’ll first list some of these fruits then go into detail one by one.
They are but not limited to:
- Vanilla fruit
- Velvet Apple fruit
- Voavanga fruit
- Valencia Orange fruit
- Velvet Tamarind Fruit
Fruits that start with V
#1. Vanilla fruit – Fruits that start with V
Often wonder where the vanilla flavoring used in cakes and other desserts come from? Now you know. The Vanilla fruit belongs to the orchid family with more than 100 varieties of the Vanilla plant in existence. Here’s a fun (or grim) fact: it’s said that the flower of this fruit blooms for just 24 hrs. If it isn’t harvested within 24hr, it dies!
- WebMD reports that Vanilla has the potential to induce a calming effect in new born babies and adults.
- Some researches claim that an extract found in Vanilla fruit called “Vanillin” has anti-cancer benefits.
#2. Vines – Fruits that start with V
Wikipedia defines Vines as any plant with climbing tendencies. In some parts of the world, like the British Isles, Vines refers exclusively to “grape vines”. Fun fact: This fruit has a twin that is sometimes referred to a Bines because it climbs in form of a Helix structure. This means it’s able to climb clockwise and anti-clockwise.
- This one is quite obvious. One of the best known benefits of Vines is to make Wines we drunkards drink. For the none drunkards, Vines are believed to provide anti-oxidants, anti-cancer effects, lower blood pressure and may protect against diabetes.
#3. Velvet Apple fruit
Wonder what Velvet Apple fruits taste like? It’s quite confusing, this one. Some eaters say it tastes like a Banana flavored Apple, while some say it tastes like Strawberry-Mango Yogurt? If you want to find an abundance of the Velvet Apple, visit places like the Philippines or Taiwan.
Fun fact: As delicious as it might be to wrap your tongue around the fleshy insides of this bad girl, word on the streets is that the tree that produces this fruit is considered an endangered species by the Philippines Government. What does this mean for the rest of the world? It means one can’t export it without special permission from their Bureau of Forestry.
Good luck cracking that one.
- Velvet Apple are said to be great sources of potassium, calcium and Vitamin A, C and B complex, dietary fiber and some proteins.
#4. Voavanga fruit
The very first time I saw the Voavanga fruit, if no one told me it was a fruit meant to actually be taken seriously, I would instantly have labelled it as one scary looking, possibly Alien specie. One word to describe the Voavanga fruit…Weird AF!
With its spiky externals and even weirder insides, this guy looks like it doesn’t want to be eaten. let alone, picked up with bare hands.
Nevertheless, not everything good comes packaged in a shiny wrapper. The Vangueria madagascariensis as it’s sometimes called is said to be used as herbal medication to treat for diseases like Malaria, Worms, Diabetes, skin problems among others.
- The Voavanga fruit helps you stay hydrated, may possess anti-cancer effects, reduces muscle soreness among other things.
#5. Valencia Orange fruit
Number 5 on our list of Fruits that start with the letter V is the Valencia Orange fruit. If you are a football fan and you thought this one has something to do with the Spanish football club, Valencia, surprisingly, you aren’t wrong this time around.
What makes this specie of Orange high in demand by food factories is that it not only has a great taste, but it also has an amazing color, two key ingredients in making tasty Orange fruit juice rich in Vitamin C and other flavonoids.
- They’re rich in Vitamin C which have the potential to increase white blood cells that improve the immune system.
#6. Velvet Tamarind fruit
A popular delicacy in Africa, especially Nigeria, the Velvet Tamarind fruit which comes from a tree called Dialium Guineense, spots a dark shell with soft orange insides that melt away to reveal a seed. It is often regarded as a sort of local sweet among children in rural neighborhoods.
- Research shows that the leaf extracts of the fruit inhibit the growth of plasmodium (the agent from Mosquitoes that cause Malaria), thereby fighting against the parasite.
- It promotes the production of urine, treats Ulcers and prevents Hypertension.
- Citrus fruits aren’t the only ones possessing Vitamin D. Apparently, so does the Velvet Tamarind with its anti-microbial infection properties.
- It also improves oral hygiene and cures toothache.
- The ladies will love this one – it aids in the relief of Menstrual pains.
Conclusion on Fruits That Start With V
We were only able to list 6 Fruits that start with the letter V. As you can see, they are rare to find and some of them can’t even be found here in the US. If you’ve had any of the above fruits before, comment below.